Site Logo

The ArtCAM Forum - Community help, support and advice for the ArtCAM family of CNC software

This forum is for existing and potential ArtCAM users to share knowledge, tips and tricks.

It is currently 21 Apr 2014, 16:41

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: I have another question about importing bitmap images.
PostPosted: 01 Feb 2012, 20:16 
Verified ArtCAM Insignia/Pro/JS User

Is it possible to import an image into a drawing without that image setting the resolution?

so I could just do an image trace?

Post subject: Re: I have another question about importing bitmap images.
PostPosted: 01 Feb 2012, 21:15 
ArtCAM Staff
ArtCAM Staff

Hi Twidget,

If you import an image as a new bitmap layer, the ArtCAM model's resolution is unaffected. To do so:

(1). From the Project panel, right-click Bitmaps in the Project Tree and select Import from the context menu. The Load Bitmap Layer dialog is displayed.
(2). Select the image that you want to import, and then click Open. A new bitmap layer is added to the Bitmaps layer stack in the Project Tree, on which is hosted your imported image file's artwork.

To copy a specific area from the active bitmap layer's artwork and paste it elsewhere in the same layer, or into another bitmap layer altogether:

(1). In the 2D View window, draw and select a vector boundary to identify the area of the bitmap artwork you want to copy.
(2). From the Menu Bar, select Edit > Copy Bitmap to copy the area of bitmap artwork within the selected vector's bounding box to the ArtCAM clipboard.
(3). Press Ctrl+V keys. A preview rectangle is displayed, equal to the size of the bounding box surrounding the vector used to copy the specific area of bitmap artwork to the ArtCAM clipboard.
(4). If you want to paste the copied bitmap artwork from the ArtCAM clipboard onto a different bitmap layer, from the Project panel, select the appropriate bitmap layer in the Project Tree.
(5). In the 2D View window, move the preview rectangle to the position in the model area in which you want to paste the bitmap artwork from the ArtCAM clipboard, and then left-click.
(6). Press Esc to return to Select mode.

You can use the Bitmap To Vector tool (on the Vector Creation toolbar) to convert your bitmap artwork to vector artwork. The 2D View toolbar's Contrast slider is also useful when checking your vector artwork against bitmap artwork. Drag left to blur the artwork; to make colours more saturated.

I hope that this information is of some assistance.

Kind regards,

Dillon

PostPosted: 02 Feb 2012, 16:41 

oh very cool.. and It has an independent color palate from the main drawing... now I can trace in here rather than corel and keep the resolutions all together.

PostPosted: 02 Feb 2012, 16:51 

now if I draw and trace a section will I get the shape if I cut and past it into a new relief or will it always be a box? do you follow what I am saying dillion..

now I got a whole new way to do a few things.

PostPosted: 02 Feb 2012, 17:01 
ArtCAM Staff
ArtCAM Staff

Hi Twidget,

You're correct in thinking that each bitmap layer has its own dedicated colour palette. The model's resolution is unaffected by your bitmap artwork. You can adjust your model's resolution by selecting Model > Set Resolution from the Menu Bar.

If you're working in ArtCAM Pro or JewelSmith and want to cut a specific area of a relief layer within a selected vector boundary, click the Cookie Cutter button on the Relief Editing toolbar (second from right). The relief area within the vector boundary is then pasted to a new relief layer, named Relief Layer Cookie Cut by default. The shape of the cut and pasted relief area follows that of the selected vector boundary.

Kind regards,

Dillon

PostPosted: 02 Feb 2012, 17:10 

I would like to cut up the bitmap in the primary layer and separate the components.. I see where I can make a relief right from that layer stack.

then I can go in with the sculpting tool and work the layer.

this might help me in doing the faces and scenes I have to get done..

getting the tool to cut the thing is a whole different story.

BTW i am in Artcam Jewelsmith. ver 2011 and 2010... and my original ver 6

PostPosted: 02 Feb 2012, 17:36 
ArtCAM Staff
ArtCAM Staff

Hi Twidget,

When copying and pasting pieces of bitmap artwork, the selected vector's bounding box is used rather than the vector's outline. At this time, you cannot cut and paste areas of a bitmap layer in the same way as you would a relief layer when using the Cookie Cut tool.

When you've finished creating your vector outlines around each of the specific areas of your bitmap artwork, have you considered creating a new bitmap layer, flood filling vectors with colours and then using each of these colours as a mask when sculpting? You could restrict sculpting to the relief area beneath the primary colour or outside of the primary colour (with the sculpting tool selected, see the Colour Usage options in the Mask Settings area).

Kind regards,

Dillon

PostPosted: 02 Feb 2012, 18:43 

I am experimenting with it. I have images of the subject that are different sizes but show different aspects of the subject in greater detail.. i am trying to combine and scale these aspects.

PostPosted: 02 Feb 2012, 20:01 

you know what I could use dillion....

I could us being able to link some colors... then merge those linked colors to the first without doing it one color at a time...

and not having to do it by reducing the colors.. especially when working with pic or bitmaps.

unless there is some way to do that.

PostPosted: 02 Feb 2012, 20:16 
ArtCAM Staff
ArtCAM Staff

Hi Twidget,

In the colour palette, click and drag the colour swatch you want to link with another, position the mouse cursor over the colour swatch with which you want to link, and then release the mouse button. You can link a chain of already linked colours with an unlinked colour using this method. You can also use the Bitmaps > Colour menu options and the colour palette's context menu options (displayed by right-clicking in an empty area of the palette) to manage your linking too. At this time, the Merge option allows you to merge only the secondary colour with the primary colour.

Kind regards,

Dillon

PostPosted: 02 Feb 2012, 20:46 

right i know that.. its merging the colors that is tedious if you want to do it to many...

is the limit of 64 colors something new? didn't use to be the full 244?

PostPosted: 03 Feb 2012, 04:13 

Twidget,
Thanks for asking these questons.
The answers that Dillon gave were new to me, again thanks.
mike

PostPosted: 03 Feb 2012, 11:09 
ArtCAM Staff
ArtCAM Staff

twidget wrote:
is the limit of 64 colors something new? didn't use to be the full 244?
Hi Twidget,

I'm not aware of any imposed limit of 64 colours being applied to imported bitmap artwork. The number of colour swatches in the colour palette is equal to the number of colours in the original imported bitmap artwork. The Reduce Number of Colours In Image dialog box (displayed by selecting the Reduce Colours tool on the Bitmap Tools toolbar) confirms the original number of colours in your imported artwork (see the Current Number Of Colours In Image box).

When using the Reduce Colours tool, the starting point for the reduction process is to set the number of colours to a default of 32. This is a manageable limit from which to reduce colours further, without compromising your imported bitmap artwork's detail. During the process, ArtCAM takes colours of a similar shade and produces an averaged colour to replace the originals. You can increase the starting point for the colour reduction by specifying the higher number in the New Maximum Number Of Colours In Image box, and then clicking OK. From there, you can use the slider to dynamically reduce the number of colours in the bitmap artwork. As you drag the slider, the bitmap artwork displayed in the 2D View window and the number of swatches included in the colour palette is updated simultaneously.

You might also find the Magic Wand tool (on the Design Tools toolbar, and the 2D View/3D View right-click context menu) useful for creating vector boundaries from your imported bitmap artwork.

Kind regards,

Dillon

PostPosted: 15 Mar 2012, 13:45 
New User
New User

great post...please keep posting