Site Logo

The ArtCAM Forum - Community help, support and advice for the ArtCAM family of CNC software

This forum is for existing and potential ArtCAM users to share knowledge, tips and tricks.

It is currently 01 Aug 2014, 08:47

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Profile/Relief toolpath problem
PostPosted: 16 Dec 2012, 17:55 
Verified ArtCAM Insignia/Pro/JS User

I have an issue whereby I am effectively using a profile toolpath but need it to be z-8 at one end and z-3 at the other end. Currently I run a profile toolpath and then finish by hand with filing and sanding. Can anyone please suggest an alternative? I belief a relief toolpath is required but I do not know how to approach it. I am using Insignia 2011 64-bit build 215.

Hopefully this image better explains the problem.

Many thanks

John

Attachments:
File comment: Board with well and spout
WellAndSpout.JPG
WellAndSpout.JPG [ 39.15 KiB | Viewed 4724 times ]

Post subject: Re: Profile/Relief toolpath problem
PostPosted: 16 Dec 2012, 21:45 

John,
Could you be a little more specific I don't quite understand the z8 or the z3. Are you talking about depths, a drop down??? Are you cutting a breadboard (a cuttingboard)( this is a duhhh for me it looks as though it is)? What is the issue you're having? A relief toolpath would or could take a little longer than a profile just to put that on your plate.
mike

PostPosted: 16 Dec 2012, 22:19 

Yes Mike, it is a cutting/carving board. I have a groove running around the perimeter and a well in one corner. There is a "spout" from the well which is what I am trying to improve. The well depth is z-8, and currently the spout is z-3 along its length. I would like to change this to z-8 where it meets the well rising to z-3 at the outer end.

John

PostPosted: 17 Dec 2012, 16:41 
ArtCAM Staff
ArtCAM Staff

Hi John,
JohnFP wrote:
I am using Insignia 2011 64-bit build 215.
While your waiting on further contributions to this topic from the forum community, I recommend that you update to ArtCAM Insignia 2011.SP1 (build 367). This includes many new features and enhancements. Select the Help > Check for ArtCAM Insignia Updates > Software Updates menu option in your ArtCAM Insignia software. I also recommend that you register as a Verified ArtCAM User so that you can access all areas of the forum.

Kind regards,

Dillon

PostPosted: 17 Dec 2012, 20:05 

Thanks for the advice Dillon. Have installed the latest version and will play with it when I have time. John

PostPosted: 18 Dec 2012, 05:17 

John,
I am sorry I am lost, had to look up the word spout, and am still in the dark. Also what do you mean by z8 and z3, more than likely you are talking of depth.
Let me paraphrase this as my understanding.............. I think are saying you have a rise, a mismatch you do not want, correct? you want a contoured surface that meets the trough (the grove) and yet is higher in the center. How am I doing?
mike

PostPosted: 18 Dec 2012, 07:53 

Mike

The groove or trough runs around the board, is 8mm deep and is cut using a profile toolpath and a 5mm radius cutter. The well in the corner is cut with the same tool (using area clearance and profile toolpaths) and to the same depth.

The spout running from well to board edge, again, uses a profile toolpath and the same radius cutter. It currently runs at a depth of 3mm.

I would like to achieve a spout that has a depth of 8mm where it meets the well and a depth of 3mm at the board edge. Ideally this should be done using the same tool.

Hope this makes sense.

John

PostPosted: 18 Dec 2012, 14:22 

John
the easiest way for your project is open up the g-code and edit the z depth, depending on which direction your cutting you should only have one depth to change.
that's the way I would do it since its only one short vector and can be done very quickly.
You could also use the 2-rail sweep and create a flat plane that sloped from -3 to -8, do your profile toolpath then project the toolpath onto the relief using the transform toolpath.

Hopefully we will have a fluting tool implemented soon that makes this chore simple !
Gary

Custom CNC Cutters/Onsrud Dealer

Wichita/Derby Kansas
http://www.beckwithdecor.com

PostPosted: 18 Dec 2012, 18:11 

Thanks for that Gary.

As I'm neither an expert in g-code or ArtCam I will give the g-code a try as it seems the easier option as well as providing the desired result in one step.

Can anyone point me in the direction of a tutorial for using the 2-rail sweep please as getting to grips with this would provide a better solution?

Many thanks for your help

John

PostPosted: 19 Dec 2012, 06:06 

John,
I am so embarrassed, I could not in my wildest imagination conceive what a sprout was and was stumbling with it, I am so sorry. Thanks for clarifing, now all I can say is "DUH dude" :oops:
mike

ps.......... this photo is an over simplification of what Gary said with a 2 rail sweep

Attachments:
sys.jpg
sys.jpg [ 144.66 KiB | Viewed 4250 times ]

PostPosted: 19 Dec 2012, 07:39 

No problem Mike, we all have our moments - me, possibly more than most!

Thanks again for the info on the 2 rail sweep. I will experiment with it when I have little more spare time. The past 6 weeks leading up to Christmas have been a little hectic :D

PostPosted: 19 Dec 2012, 14:44 

There you go Mike you got it :D
the only difference for John is he's using a profile tool to do this, so if you use your z modulator as the profile and sweep the width to create the slope, then create your profile toolpath projecting onto relief (transform toolpath), the profile toolpath will then follow the slope.

Still a lot of work for such a little cut line :(
compared to open g-code, goto line number for start of spout which will have a X.....Y.......Z-8.0000 next line should be end of spout position, (X.... Y...Z-8.0000) change the z from -8 to -3 for end of line and your done. (simple example)
Gary

Custom CNC Cutters/Onsrud Dealer

Wichita/Derby Kansas
http://www.beckwithdecor.com