Site Logo

The ArtCAM Forum - Community help, support and advice for the ArtCAM family of CNC software

This forum is for existing and potential ArtCAM users to share knowledge, tips and tricks.

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 16:56

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: MAC vs PC
PostPosted: 14 Jan 2008, 16:07 
ArtCAM User
ArtCAM User

Hello,
I am thinking about switching to a MAC but need to know if ArtCam , Powermill or Mastercam will work on a MAC--Any ideas,

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: 14 Jan 2008, 16:21 
Verified ArtCAM Insignia/Pro/JS User

I have heard they work great on macs with intel processors running a windows boot partition.

Post subject: Re: MAC vs PC
PostPosted: 15 Jan 2008, 07:47 
ArtCAM Staff
ArtCAM Staff

silverfoxx03 wrote:
Hello,
I am thinking about switching to a MAC but need to know if ArtCAM , Powermill or Mastercam will work on a MAC--Any ideas,

Thanks

Hi,

Delcam/ArtCAM/PowerMILL officially does not support MAC.

Thanks,
Shirish

Post subject:
PostPosted: 15 Jan 2008, 11:02 

silverfoxx:

I've been running ArtCam on a Mac Powerbook Pro for over a year, and know a number of others that do the same, either with Parallels or with boot camp. Parallels allows a dual boot under both OS,while boot camp - built in to the latest Mac os - leopard - runs under XP Pro. Others are using the same Mac set up to run other modeling programs. Under boot camp, running XP alone, XP runs natively on an intel chip.

If you switched completely to Mac, you'd probably need a PC as server to send your output to the router; I don't think there is a parallel adapter to feed files to the CNC, but it's only a matter of time until one is available.

While I've never done benchmark tests, everything seems to run considerably faster from calculation times to screen generation of images, both under dual boot or under boot camp.

What help is 'Delcam/ArtCam/PoweMill officially does not support MAC', or is it just to state it's official policy? Will the same statement be made when Microsoft offers a dual platform OS?

I am not a die hard Mac fan, I choose to use what I consider the best tool for the job for my needs - regardless of manufacture. I own many mac based and a several PC based programs. On the road, at home or in the shop, Mac allows me to use them all. It's also the best of both worlds - two machines in one small case.

By the way - when I call my dealer for support, it's for ArtCam, not Mac; same on the forum.

Danny

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17 Jan 2008, 07:15 
ArtCAM Staff
ArtCAM Staff

Hi Danny,

Actually ArtCAM is developed for PC's. If you are trying to run the ArtCAM software which is developed for PC’s on a Mac computer, there is no guarantee that ArtCAM will run on that system. This is why we cannot support a computer that ArtCAM is not developed for. Hope this clarifies.

Thanks,
Shirish

Last edited by Shirish B on 18 Jan 2008, 05:56, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17 Jan 2008, 09:32 

Hi Shirish,

I do understand, and was trying to honestly answer the posted question. What's funny is that while Mac makes a computer with capabilities to run native PC programs, Apple provides no support when it's running windows!

I can imagine a time when PC's will run Mac OS. Far fetched, maybe, maybe not. May never happen, but there are good qualities in both systems.

Bottom line, it does work and works well. And.... everythings not strictly black or white, not everyones situation is the same. I have a family member that requires 24 hour care. Having one wireless notebook that runs all programs I own, allows me to work whenever and wherever I want.

For me, and for my situation I'm grateful for the ability to do that. I know others in similar situations. I had two alternatives: purchase a PC laptop, use it to work in ArtCam and use the Mac laptop to run Mac programs, or get one that did both.

Thanks for the note Shirish. I understand your definition of computer support and platform for which it was developed. Fortunately, when I need ArtCam support, my dealer provides it; sometimes when the program misbehaves, other times for operator error ;-)

BTW, nice to see you pop in. There are times when some questions are best answered by staff.

Thanks again,

Danny